Sights and sounds.

I think I may be developing a slight paranoia in regards to mosquitoes buzzing around me...

I catch myself gazing off to my right or left side intermittently while in our room if I hear what might be the nearly undetectable low hum of one of these potentially disease carrying minuscule insects. Josh and I will stand, like hunters silently awaiting the first glimpse of their prey, racket zapper in hand (http://www.biconet.com/flies/racketZapper.html) ready to quickly (and understandably enjoyably) dispose of any intruders.

And this, along with some chips, salsa and our first viewing of “The Dark Knight,” comprised last Friday evening's activities...

Aside from my new found hunting skills, I've been realizing lately that even within the adventure of relocating for the first time in my life to a foreign country, the foreign things can still become somewhat "commonplace," regardless of the fact that they might not fit on any previous plane with experiences in my own culture.

This can include such things as the sight of young monks passing by in vibrant orange robes, moving from store front to store front, often in bare feet, and often with an equally vibrant umbrella in hand (to ward off the sun) as they collect their daily alms.
This can also include the sight of 3 (if not more) pigs delicately placed in a metal basket on the back of a moto for ease of transport.
Or anywhere from three to seven (the current record) family members cozily and safely riding together on one moto.
Along with the average herd of water buffalo that calmly but confidently keep you on your side of the road.
Some of the most common sounds we hear waft in either from an early morning Buddhist funeral or late night party/wedding, both of which have the power behind their respective sound systems to make it feel like they are taking place within the very confines of your room. Don't try to shut your windows. It will be futile.

A side effect that exists beyond the sounds of a Cambodian wedding is the quandary you find yourself in as you begin to exit your driveway the next morning and quickly realize that the entirety of your street has been taken over by an oversized festive pink and yellow wedding tent. We have had to actually drive through one of these tents before as they are a fairly common addition to large portions of the street throughout town on the weekends.
The final sound that has become more common these days is the barking noises of this small puppy (whose Khmer name I can't pronounce), a recent addition to the Phnom Penh offices, and a fairly irresistible distraction during morning devotions...


Comments

Emily said…
Michelle, I love seeing what you are seeing! Thanks for sharing!
Adriane said…
I can't wait to see you and Josh w/your three kids riding on a moto together. Priceless :)

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.