Baby you're a firework

I know it might seem a bit excessive to do TWO blog posts in one day, surpassing my usual two per year, but I couldn't keep the general public from hearing a little bit about our Fourth of July Eve festivities.

Our afternoon family nap, courtesy of 6:11 am (see previous post), brought back to life my sweet, happy, well rested tiny humans. Glorious. Things were going so well. I even made a pot roast in the crock pot that my children actually consumed. Monumental.

The glory was short lived my friends.

Here are some fun stats from our life post-pot roast.

8:00 Baby Claire is settled down for the night (aka 3-4 hours)

8:15 Bedtimes for the elder two begin.

8:18 The husband and I excitedly anticipate our new Sunday tradition of an in home date night consisting of board games, snacks, and gazing into each other's eyes for hours on end.

8:20 The neighbors and surrounding neighborhoods can sense the impending cover of night and my children preparing to slumber.

8:21 The neighbors and surrounding neighborhoods begin the process of blowing up approximately $80,000 worth of firework explosives, destroying both our childrens' sense of safety and our previously held dreams for snack size bags of chips and Uno.

8:22-10:30 Our children exit their room 73 times, shed 42 real tears, 23 fake tears, beg 172 times to sleep in our room, are given 1/2 tsp of Benadryl (in my defense, they were truly itchy from outdoor allergies...), have not one, not two, but THREE sound machines placed in their room on full blast. I internally rage and eat cheetos while my husband tries to calmly convince the tinies that the "boom booms" are simply the equivalent of really loud toots.

10:32 The Sequence game gets officially returned to the garage to sit on a lonely shelf with all of our former in home date night dreams.

10:35 Both children are given their Kindles and told not to come out of their room until Christmas.

11:05 One child remains in bed snuggling a Kindle, one is on the couch with a Kindle, the tiniest (and current reigning favorite child) is still in her room, my husband is getting ready for bed, and we figure in another brief 5-6 hours the firework extravaganza will finally let up and we will all get a high quality hour of sleep to ensure we have energy to do this all over again tomorrow night!

I will regain my love for you on the 5th of July, America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.