Impressions.

I have to say that my new husband (along with Emily and Tabea who work with the organization here) did a great job of prepping me for life in Cambodia. In my limited experience of being here I would say that my favorite way to see Cambodia (or at least Phnom Penh) so far is through the scope of a "tuk tuk" (a covered bicycle taxi basically). We took one coming back from the bus station and it was quite the ride, weaving in and out of traffic, the passengers at eye level with life happening all around us...street vendors, pedestrians, cars, bicycles, motorcycles, busses, and the occasional farm animal.

This is traffic in Cambodia.

There are rules and there is even a semblance of order to the seeming chaos of it all as cars pass each other by entering the opposite lane (no mind about oncoming traffic...surely they'll know to move..) and honking to let the passee know that a car is moving by. Honking and flashing head lights take on a whole new meaning in Cambodia. Josh has told me that driving in Cambodia is largely based on assumptions. And for the most part it works.

It works the least (statistically speaking) for the people on motorcycles...

I pondered this as the bus we were on to Sihanoukville kept attempting to pass the over sized truck in front of us towing a swerving over sized vehicle behind it. In the midst of many failed attempts (and Josh's attempt to shield me should the vehicle gently slam into the large glass window next to me), I found myself grateful to be a woman who has (hopefully) reckoned with her own death. Cambodia is not here to provide me comfort. It is here to challenge the things I have held to (including self-preservation).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.