"Good morning Mrs. John.."

Last week Josh, Emily and I headed out with a team from AZ to do prep work at the site for the upcoming medical clinic in Pursat. It was amazing to see the transformation that occurred through the work of the team and a team of Cambodians working together. The house and cafeteria got painted, cement walkways laid, squatty potties and showers constructed, stages set up for evangelism, and a myriad of other details that will continue to unfold before the clinic officially begins on August 4th.





























































Cambodia painting techniques are my favorite.



















Second only to Cambodian moving methods (Need to move a building? Grab 30 guys, pick it up, and go. It's that easy.)






























This is where my week-long sleep over with the ladies from New Life will take place :)











































We had a great time with this team, enjoying hour long commutes to the home together, scraping blue paint off of ourselves at the end of each day, eating really good Khmer food (maybe including French fries sometimes..), and at the end of the night finding ourselves drawn to the irresistible beacon of light affectionately known as “Tela.”

Now, to any common traveler, the site of a gas station with a mini mart inside of it may seem like nothing substantial. But to the tired mission team, finding that the end of the day could bring with it M&M’s, shortbread cookies, and ice cold beverages is like a little piece of convenience store heaven. I wish I were exaggerating.













We had the last leg of our trip in Siem Reap and I got to go to Angkor Wat and two other temples for my second time. I was still quite enthralled by it all, enough so to post more pictures here. My favorite part of the Siem Reap time though was a brief exchange I had with one of the employees of the hotel we stay at when we’re there. I’ll preface it by saying that my husband is well known by the employees at the hotel, though the last “sh” sound of "Josh" doesn’t quite translate into Khmer (apparently), and he is known at this hotel as “John” or “sir John” which just makes him feel regal. I ventured down to breakfast one day on my own and was greeted with a friendly “Good morning Mrs. John!” Love it. I didn’t even know I was marrying into royalty.






























Ancient squatty potty.

Comments

halgrakin said…
Michelle: I love reading every new post. Have fun this week with all the E-town friends. Just wanted to you know I think you're great. Glad to hear you are recovered and fully hydrated. Love!

Haley

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.