Today.

A few things I like about today…

-Celebrating monthly anniversaries.


-Dreaming of Fall in Seattle. Sweaters. Jeans. Coffee. Waterproof jackets. Bring it.

-Snacking on trail mix my mom mailed over to us.

-Spending some time reviewing my notes from the Beth Barone conference.

The last one involves something I would like to see formed in myself as a habit. I want to get better at not simply gathering new information only to fall back into former thought patterns, but intentionally reminding myself of what I have learned, allowing it to challenge me to then live it out. James 1:22.

"Revelation combined with conviction creates movement." - Beth.

Beth focused a lot on the importance of loving people. Such a seemingly basic concept and yet, as someone (honest moment) fully content to remain in her bubble of husband, friends, and routine, I find that I can consider people just another thing I have to deal with in the day as I go about my actual agenda, rather than considering them to be the most important part of my day.

Oy.

Beth says the foundation for all that she speaks about is the idea of "me giving up me." Sounds difficult already. We have to give up having a ministry as what is most important. Our ministry cannot define us or be the basis for our worth. I know I am guilty of this line of thinking. Being deemed a "missionary" can tend to be pretty spiritual sounding, but if I don't have love, in all of its possible joys and potential inconveniences, then I simply bear a title. I ascribe my worth to the sum of my actions rather than the heart behind them. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3.

"Loving people is not only difficult it is impossible. Every one of us are a pain to somebody else. You have to have the love of God in order to love people." -Beth

So what does this all mean?

For Josh and I it has meant challenging each other to step outside of ourselves, to talk to people when it would be easier to simply go about our day. It means not allowing for roots of cynicism to creep into us. It means growth and stretching and a great deal of intentionality in these last 5 months for us in Cambodia.

And perhaps even then the greater challenge of not believing any of it should change when we arrive home.

Comments

Emily said…
Wow.

I tend to think of myself as a really "nice" person and start patting myself on the back for being so nice. But the reality, is a lot of times it isn't out of love, it is out of a need for me to perform or be applauded.

As you said, oy.

Thanks for the reminder to make loving people the priority today.

You are a wise woman.
Bernie said…
"Each one of us is a pain to someone else."

Who, ME???

That can't be possible...

Oh, yes it IS...and thanks (through Beth, um, I forget her name) for pointing that out. I quite naturally find that hard to believe, which in itself points out the issue. How could someone (me) so good-natured and Girl Scout-ish possibly be a pain to anyone?

Ask my best friend, my family, any possible future husband.

That was a good one. Thank you, she said humbly, with a snifter of port whine.

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.