Mountain Top Experiences

Hypothetically speaking, people ask me for advice on what not to do while pregnant all the time.

If the above weren't a hypothetical scenario, I would tell them this:

NEVER attempt to hike up Mt. Pilchuck while pregnant.

Here's what will happen.

You will wake up feeling surprisingly refreshed and energetic one Saturday morning.

You will be powered by the finest breakfast known to man (mcmuffin and hash browns).

You will feel fully prepared with hiking poles, comfortable shoes, and a kind husband who arranges it so you don't even have to carry a backpack.

You will go hiking on the day where approximately 99.2% of the greater Seattle population has also decided to hike this very same mountain.

Going UP the mountain roughly 87% of the ascent you will be an animal, with your husband remarking how proud Jillian Michaels would be of the way you are ripping the face off of this mountain.

Then.......things will start to change.

It will become more rocky. Both with actual rocks and with fluctuating levels of emotion.

Sidebar: I could blame these emotions solely on pregnancy, but sadly my hiking emotions often find me at my most fragile and unpredictable.

You will be semi-brave in going to the top of the mountain (not to the lookout point, but close enough..). And while you should sit back to enjoy the majestic beauty of nature surrounding you.....all your mind will allow is thoughts of "I have to go back down...."

Coming down the mountain you will be unsteady (again, both physically and emotionally).

You will feel as if you are inconveniencing the nice hikers who have to wait 10 minutes for you to effectively navigate descending the rocks so they can pass you on their way up.

Small children ages 2-7 will sail past you both ascending and descending with their sounds of joy and laughter that will haunt each painful step of your slow rocky maneuvers.

You will celebrate and feel entirely defeated upon finally reaching the bottom before you sleep the entire way home.

There are no pictures of this trip because some memories don't benefit anyone if they are captured...

My husband went hiking again today.

I did not.

And this is why our marriage is so strong today. I've learned my lesson.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Michelle,

I love reading your blogs. Love it! This sounds like solid advice, and I think you have every right to blame the experience on pregnancy... ;)

Regarding the 2-7 year olds' joyful laughter... well, what can I say, kids have no tact. But you'll raise yours better.

Katie
Katie, it's true. Our child or children will have learned complete awareness of other people's emotions and fragility by age 3.

I feel like this is reasonable and I'm glad you know this about me :)

Popular posts from this blog

Never met someone who thinks so much like me...jinx!...Jinx again!

Where hope doesn't belong.